Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Giving Students Ownership of Learning

I read an article,"Giving Students Ownership of Learning." You can find the article at,http://anne.teachesme.com/2008/10/29/giving-students-ownership-of-learning/#comment-107475.

This article was very insightful and full of interesting information. The article discussed how we need to "rethink the role of schools and educators." It also discusses how students have the "potential" to become the teachers and the educators are the motivators in helping the children succeed. I thought this article was extremely eye-opening and really showed how education has changed in the past few years and how we, as educators, need to make the students become more responsible for their learning.

2 comments:

Miss Luffy said...

I agree Erin. I feel there should be less "chalk talk" and more student centered learning. I am a 4th grade teacher and I always n notice how much more the students are focused and engaged when they are learning from each other. I feel other students are able to explain concepts on more of a student friendly level than I am. It is also refreshing to see a concept express by 26 different points of view.

BillyS said...

Absolutely, students can be teachers! They have grown up in a digital world and have likely been using digital tools that teachers are now discovering. They can "teach" teachers the best way to implement these tools into curriculum and into the instructional process. Presenting students with this opportunity, also engages them in their own learning process and I think they will be the beneficiaries