Sunday, November 16, 2008

No Cupcake For You!

I was reading a lot of different blogs today and came across this one regarding bake sales being banned from a school in California. You can find the complete article at http://www.coreknowledge.org/blog/2008/10/27/no-cupcake-for-you/.

I found it interesting because the school district I work in has banned bake goods or any type of cosumable goodies in the school setting. Instead, students are encouraged to hand out pencils and erasers for their birthdays and they receive apples for holiday celebrations rather than junk food. They are just as excited about those types of goodies as they would be to eating foods that are not nutrious for them. They can't miss what they never had.

2 comments:

Miss Luffy said...

Interesting issue Erin. I think having healthy snacks is a good idea. It allows students to be more energized throughout the day. The junk food gives students a sugar rush and then usually leaves them tired and unfocused. My school district does not have a candy rule. Usually for every party their desk are completely covered with junk. Although the students love it, they usually end up with an upset stomach.
I thought it was interesting how you said "they can't miss what they never had." I think students and parents would probably be against banning candy because they are so used to the tradition. Even when they are told to bring in a healthy snack, it usually ends up being chips and candy.

Laura Ann said...

I actually found this same blog online as well. If you read on the actual blog site, you can see my comments on the issue. (I used it as a blog assignment during my first week of class.) Anyway, this topic really strikes a nerve with me at times. I have been teaching for 5 years now, and each year I've had the "peanut allergy" class. I have 6 kids who are severely allergic to nuts. Snack time is absolute chaos for me because I have to read every single label of every snack. Even if it's processed in the same facility as something else that has nuts, it's illegal in my classroom. Banning baked goods is a great way to "include" all students instead of telling the kids they can't have something or have them fear of having an attack because someone else is eating.